Until the 18th century, the territory comprised by Ciego de Ávila province nowadays was practically uninhabited. Most of the first inhabitants, coming from the near Sancti Spíritus village, built their houses and even the church with simple materials such as wood and palm leaves.
So that the first foundations of the city date back to the 19th century, in which period the first twenty-five blocks were designed and several exponents of vernacular architecture were built, some of which are still conserved.
The construction of The of Júcaro-Moron Trail also favored the development of the city in a particular way, not only because of the trade activities, supply and services, generated by the fortification, but also because of the construction of other military objects such as the hospital, the Spanish Headquarters and the Júcaro-Moron railroad, built around 1875.
The 20th century meant for the city a consolidation period. Most of the important constructions of the historic city center date back to that time and constitute interesting exponents of eclectic architecture.
Such structures are characterized by their wide porches, richly decorated grills and a wide variety of columns and arches, all which identifies Ciego de Ávila and makes it different from other cities of the country.