This city is located north of Ciego de Ávila and the origin of its name has also been the object of controversies. Some historians state that the place was called after the characteristics of its relief, since geographically “morón” means “land mound on a forest."
Others state that there lived a Sevillian coming from Morón de la Frontera who, full with nostalgia, suggested that the new town be called after his homeland. And still there are some who assure that Ramón Morón, one of the former proprietors of the new place, bequeathed his last name to the territory.
Anyway, it is known that Morón originated in 1525, in which time the town council of Puerto Príncipe leased the lands where the town originated.
Morón became the property of Luis Almeida on May 24, 1543, which date was officially appointed to commemorate the foundation. Later, in 1593, the property was acquired by Pedro de la Pera.
In 1793 a temple was built on a spot known as Ermita Vieja, but both the town and the church were moved in 1827 to where the city is located nowadays since the place was considered higher and more salubrious. Historians state that by that time Morón had three streets, on which they had built one hundred palm-leaves- roofed houses and a tile-roofed one, besides some small commercial sites…
The demographic growth of Moron was slow and its inhabitants, coming mainly from Spain and Sancti Spíritus, were engaged in cattle raising and agriculture.
In 1869, the town was given the condition of village and in 1870 it was appointed municipality. During the colonial period, Morón belonged, at different times, to Puerto Príncipe, Sancti Spíritus, Remedios and Santa Clara.
Due to its strategic location, Morón was an important concentration spot for Spanish troops during the independence wars by the end of the 19th century.
The authorities fortified the town and it became one of the extremities of the legendary military trail that extended southwards up to Júcaro port. Nevertheless, the insurgent forces repeatedly sieged and attacked the village.
During the 1913-1925 period, six sugar mills and the north railroad were built within the Moron jurisdiction, which facts influenced the demographic and urban growth of the town. On May 20, 1921 it was awarded the city category.
Until 1959, North American companies controlled the sugar cane production, the main economic branch of the territory. At the same time, Swedish and North Americans fostered the growth of citric fruits.
On January 1, 1959, the Rebel Army, commanded by Fidel Castro, liberated Moron. Later on, the city would experience a superior stage in its development.